Thursday 11 May 2017

Day 5 Guiglia to Pistoia 67 miles

We cycled out of Guiglia after a lazy rise (8.45 start instead of 8.30). This Comune di Guiglia, or municipality, had an elevation of 490m requiring a steepish descent, roads with irregular and rutted tarmac with areas of subsidence. Care was needed!

To see route click on link -  Interactive google map
This will open a new window where you can zoom in and also click on parts of overall route to view different days.


Photo spotted by P. Thornton


Gateway exiting this fine town leading to our scenic and undulating route through hills, small villages and woodlands.


There were many dramatic views, a number of long gradual climbs and sweeping descents.
Our day started in mist. Roadside wild flowers were abundant.
The sun emerged gradually, enhancing the vistas.
Fabulous place for a morning brew


Churches were often purchased on ridges and pinnacles.
Just a short ride from the brew stop to lunch. The trip could be seen as a process of eating and drinking fine Italian produce, punctuated by a bit of cycling.
Views from the balcony of our lunch stop




Post lunch required some significant ascents...




...at the top we were afforded some fine views.



Time to pose for the camera.
Numerous roadside shrines, often with freshly cut flowers.
After a quick coffee we cycled out for a long slow climb


A weird shaped building en route.
At the final ridge we arrived at a small town before a final 10 miles breath taking descent.

At the roadside, there was a 1930s fountain commissioned by the producer of Campari, Guiseppe Gronche. This was one of very few surviving fountains incorporating artwork, a public amenity and a long-lasting advert!



“A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, “Why are you riding your bicycles?”

The first student replied, “The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!” The teacher praised the first student. “You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do.”

The second student replied, “I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!” The teacher commended the second student, “Your eyes are open, and you see the world.”

The third student replied, “When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo.” The teacher gave his praise to the third student, “Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student replied, “Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings.” The teacher was pleased and said to the fourth student, “You are riding on the golden path of non-harming.”


The fifth student replied, “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.” The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, “I am your student.”
Zen proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment