Tuesday 9 May 2017

Day 3 Riva Del Garda to Mantova 52 miles







“I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride my bike; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride it where I like…”

Freddie Mercury



View from our room over looking Lake Garda


To see route click on link -  Interactive google map
This will open a new window where you can zoom in and also click on parts of overall route to view different days.
We took a ferry from Riva to Garda itself, over two hours to traverse from shoreside resort to resort, picking up passengers along the way.
Nigel and Steve, two of our guides were making themselves tall to get into a photo from the boat.


But this may have been unwise.
The boat ride was surprisingly chilly.
Come on, take the photo. I can only hold a smile so long.


Some of the towns demonstrated underdeveloped structures of hotels that might have been.
Existing buildings were picturesque


Still snow on the peaks, with sheer cliff faces forged by paleolithic glacial activity.
The lake was huge, dwarfing our Windermere, 32 by 10 miles.
Lots of mini harbours opening into vast expanse.
You can understand why the impressionists loved cyprus trees






Churches felt gargantuan.
And seemingly appeared out of nowhere around the corner in a small town.
All roads lead to Rome.



Following the hills, we then had a flat ride to Verona. I imagined some Shakespearian 'Arcadia' paving the way. Instead, the initial route along a canal was pedestrian and industrial.


In contrast, the old city was breath taking.

We entered crossing this medieval cobbled bridge,...
...bricks worn with age.


In the main square, the Colosseum was being prepared for an opera.

The giant head dwarfed the people below.


Trucks entered with stage props...
...and large items were craned into position.


We fancied drinking Italian coffee with a view of the square and Colosseum.


To our horror, a small coffee was 12 Euros!
Therefore, we went 50 yards around the corner and sat out with fine coffee for 1.40.
Steve (in red) who runs Peak Tours and joined us for 5 days to get a flavour of his new tour.
Self portrait


The very, very flat Po plains...
...stretching for miles...


...until we reached our destination of Mantova. Such a lovely walled town!
View from our hotel room into the main square

No comments:

Post a Comment